Sunday, July 24, 2011

Calling the Police...

I was laying in bed at 11:00 last night watching t.v. when I heard a sound from downstairs that sounded like someone was trying to open my front door. I turned down the volume to listen a little closer. I KNOW I had checked all of the doors and windows downstairs before I went to bed, as I do every night...especially since Joe has been gone for so long.

Sure enough, it sounded like someone was trying to put a key in my front door and open it...again...and again...and again. We had changed our locks when we moved in, so only Dan, our handyman, and Joe and I have the correct key. Our upstairs phone was currently plugged in downstairs, but I had *luckily* remembered to bring my cell phone upstairs with me. I decided to call 911.

As the operator answered and I told him what was going on, he claimed that he could not find my address in his system. What?! He was asking me about cross streets and such and I basically yelled at him that we had just moved here, I wasn't sure what he was asking me and could he just get someone here quick!

He had to transfer me over a county 911 operator. Not sure why or what it all meant, but the woman who answered was very helpful and found my address in her system. She assured me that officers were on the way and stayed with me on the phone until they arrived. And yes, all this time, the key was still going into the lock and someone was still trying to get in the house.

You can see the front door from my bedroom door, as I am at the top of the stairs, so I watched the front door while on the phone with the operator. She let me know when the officers were at the door and they knocked for me to come and answer.

Apparently, a man was in town for Comic-Con this weekend and was given a key to come and stay at his college friends' home. He thought that my house was his friends' house as this is where his GPS sent him. He couldn't get the key to work and didn't want to ring the bell to wake them, so he just kept trying the key.

The police questioned him and ran his name for any warrents but the officers assured me that he seemed legit and they were going to follow him to the proper house.

Before he left, the officer told me that he just had a conversation with the gentleman and told him he was lucky that I did not come to the door with a gun. I had to laugh and told him it would have been a different situation if my husband were here...

It took me awhile to fall asleep last night...

Joe...I miss you! One more month!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Sarah! I have goose bumps on my arms from reading this! You are one brave & strong mommy -- hang in there, August will go by quickly! So glad you and the girls are safe!

    ReplyDelete