Saturday, September 1, 2012

Deployment - Day 1

Today was tough.  I knew it would be as I am an emotional person anyway.  I don't think I have cried as much as I have this week in a long time.

Joe's flight was at 8:00 this morning, so he had to leave for the airport by 5:30 am.  We decided it would be in the best interest of everyone involved if he took a shuttle to the airport.  The kids wouldn't have to get up at the crack of dawn and wouldn't have to experience the outpouring of emotion between Joe and I.

He said his good-byes to them last night and made them short and sweet.  They have known that he was going on a trip to Germany to help other sick people get better.  They really don't have a concept of time, so although we have shown them dates on calendars, I think it will take awhile for them to realize that Daddy really is gone on a LONG business trip.

I know we are fortunate that Joe is only gone for six months and that he will not be in harm's way and I know that what we are going through is minimal compared to those fighting on the front lines.  It is still tough to say good-bye to your best friend.  We truly are a team and there will be a big void around here for the next six months.

Joe left each of us a beautiful card and gift.  The girls were thrilled to wake up to presents!

I knew that sitting around the house all day would not be good for me, so we headed out to run some errands.

I took them for lunch...


Nothing like some good comfort food to make me feel better!

and then to Pump It Up to burn off some energy.






We spent the rest of the day at home.  I am anxiously awaiting Joe's call to let me know he arrived safely. 

One day down...too many to count left!  As Joe says, "We can't stop the clock!"



2 comments:

  1. My dear friends, you are in our thoughts and prayers. We remember how hard the separation is and are here anytime you want to chat or need anything! The time passes much more quickly than you think and March truly will be here before you know it, though the days may seem long. Love all the photos and the candy jars!

    Much love to all of you,
    The G Fisher Fam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had those sweet girls to hug on day 1.

    ReplyDelete