Sunday, September 2, 2012

Deployment - Day 2

Today started off GREAT as I was able to Facetime with Joe early this morning.  The girls were still asleep so it was great to talk to him without any interruptions.  To see him on the screen brought tears to my eyes.  I miss him so much!

He was able to give me a visual tour of the apartment that he will call home for the next six months.  It reminds him and I of a typical college apartment - three bedrooms, one bath, kitchen and sitting room.  Everything was very sterile and white.  His room is decent with a twin bed, closet and desk.  He will head out tomorrow to buy some new sheets, blanket, pillow and towels.  Trying to make the place feel like home!

The girls and I spent the morning grocery shopping to stock up for school snacks and lunches.  This afternoon was their "Welcome Back" picnic at their school.  Elleanor was really excited to see her friends and Ainsley saw a few familiar faces of those who will be in her Kindergarten class.  It was wonderful for me to see some of my friends, as well.  They were so supportive and offered to help out in any way they could while Joe is away.  It made me so thankful for the community feel of our school.

The school organized a soccer game for the kids that wanted to participate during the picnic.  Elleanor was all for that.  Ainsley...not so much.  She preferred to spend time at the "crafts" table.  The school also turned the sprinklers on for the kids to run through...a fantastic idea on a HOT day!







I had left Abigail and Emerson at home with our babysitter but they also had fun down at our neighborhood splash park.


Our nightly routine...I water the flowers.  The girls play outside.

Before Joe went to sleep last night (last night for him...this morning for us), he moved an extra tv into his bedroom.  Here is what happened...


Notice the smoke?  Oops!  Forgot to use a converter!

Tonight was our first realization that the kids might seem to know more than they let on.  They have seemed oblivious to Joe preparing to leave and now being gone...as want them to.  We figured that the less of a big deal we make of it, the better.  Elleanor had been asking me all day about when she would get to Facetime with Daddy.  I had to keep reminding her that when we were awake, he was sleeping and vice versa.  She was adamant that I set her alarm for 2:00 am so that she could wake up and talk to Daddy when it was 11:00 am in Germany.  Luckily for us, he woke up at 5:00 am to call us tonight at 8:00 pm.

She had quite a hard time getting off Facetime with him, so I let her call him again once the other girls were in bed.  As she finally ended her conversation, she completely broke down, crying that she missed her Daddy and wanted him home.  I am sure that part of her emotions came from being tired and having a long day, but it makes us realize that she may be more aware of our situation then we first thought.  I am just SO grateful, once again, that Joe is in a place where we CAN communicate via phone or Facetime everyday.  

1 comment:

  1. Looks like day 2 was a success and fun for all! I a so glad you have such a great support network at the girls' school. Praying for all of you, with extra prayers for sweet Elleanor.

    ReplyDelete